Monday, October 21, 2013

Marital Bliss in Minneapolis

I had the great pleasure recently of traveling to Minneapolis, Minnesota to attend the WEDDING of my friends Gracie and Becky!  Not only was I extremely enthusiastic that two beautiful, caring women were committing their lives together but it was also completely legal!

Gracie and Becky asked me to do their make up a while back, so I had plenty of planning time.  After a skype date hammering down their wants and want nots, I went to work creating a look and trying it out on Carrie on myself a lot!  I am always very sensitive when creating a bridal look for women who do not wear make up.  Honestly, I get a better reaction every time because the overall effect is more shocking (in a good way!).

After two....two bride weddings (you get it), I had this double-bride in one day down pat!  If there are some things I've learned from weddings, its the following:

1. They are never on time....even with a schedule......and I mean never
2. Someone will be freaking out  a little nervous over the schedule not being on time
3. It all works out in the end....SIDE NOTE: this is only in my experience.  I pray that I never attend a wedding that looks like Runaway Bride (queue images of Julia Roberts)


I had the pleasure of doing Becky's mother first and everything went smoothly!  After evening the skin tone, I used my favorite shade recently, Truffle by Ulta (thanks Rebecca for getting me hooked!)  I darken the lids by lightly brushing Urban Decay 24/7 Eyeliner in Stray Dog and setting with Truffle to prevent creasing.  I popped on some light pink on the cheeks and used Clinique Chubby Stick in Mega Melon.


Fancy Language Definitions:
Set-to cover an eyeliner with an eyeshadow to prevent the product from settling into fine lines.  Also used when covering a foundation or concealer with a powder.
Creasing-the unwanted effect of cheap makeup or improper priming when you get caking of the product in one area.


The first bride up was Becky!  I used my detailed bride sheet, so I knew all the products I would use ahead of time.  This is a good tip even if you do your own bridal makeup.  Come up with a detailed plan and write it down.  I put samples of colors next to the words to make sure I am using the correct product.  In all the wedding chaos, it is a hint of sanity.  Here is Becky's Sheet.

I am loving Benefit Stay Don't Stray Lid Primer right now.  Not only is it a matte shade, it lightens the lid which tends to be darker than the rest of the face.  I have tried drugstore eyeshadows over this primer and NOTHING will crease.  I have a little tiny sample that has lasted forever, but I run out soon.  If you can fork the $26, it is well worth the money.  If not, use your face primer on your lids like I will do once mine runs out until your birthday money comes in :)

Becky's make up went smoothly and she looked beautiful!  We went for a softer look than eyeliner by using a wet brush to apply a charcoal eyeshadow and smudging it near her lash line.  Don't be afraid to wet your brushes, use wet products on brushes (foundation), or wash your brushes with shampoo.  You cannot hurt them.

Beautiful Mother, Beautiful Daughter


Gracie and I decided on a more casual look, which included evening her skin tone and brightening her natural features.  It was a perfect fit for her!  Although I've known Gracie for a long time, I did not realize she reacted pretty much exactly like Rachel Gellar when someone gets close to her eyes.
For those of you that forgot this awesome episode:




Gracie proceeded to laugh nervously and I proceeded to laugh uncontrollably at the fact that she had to hold my arm any time I got near her eyes (which was unfortunately a lot during the time I did her makeup).  Thankfully Carrie was there snapping some photos to get the proof!
Sorry Gracers! ;)


Alright enough talk......Here are some beautiful bride photos!  They got married in the gorgeous James J Hill Library.  Photos courtesy of Danica Donnelly.

Simple and Beautiful!

Love their dog, Murphy!

Stunning Wedding Party

My personal favorite!

Also a favorite! I can't choose!


1 comment:

  1. Haha so who was neurotic about the schedule like me ;) Thanks again for making our day so special and making us look so beautiful! Again, an excellent job with helping both brides feel as natural and beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete