Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Tuesday Tip!

Before I started my road to taking make up artistry seriously, I had never washed a make up brush in my life.  I had been using the same brushes for as long as I can remember and had never known you were SUPPOSED to wash brushes, much less how.  So, lets get started!!
1. Prepare your supplies: dirty brushes, one clean towel, shampoo or brush cleaner, warm water.
2. Rinse your brushes under warm water.  Be sure to wet only the brush and the metal part of the handle, not where the metal meets the wood portion of the handle.
3. Pour a nickle-sized amount of shampoo into your hand and swirl your brush to make a lather.  Rinse well. Repeat if necessary until the water runs clear.
4. Squeeze out the excess water with your clear towel and reshape the brush to its original shape.
5. Lay flat to dry with the brush hairs fully exposed to air (360 degrees such as hanging off of the end of a table).

If you are only using your brushes on yourself, clean them once a week.  I clean my professional brushes after every use! Washing helps reduce brush shedding and risk of infection.  The type of shampoo does not matter, but most artists recommend baby shampoo.

No comments:

Post a Comment