Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Tuesday Tip!

I love getting manicures!  I don't love getting in the car, waiting in line, watching the tech rush through my manicure to get to the other ten people in line, not being able to relax because of the noise level, trying to understand what the tech is asking me (true and you know it), and enduring the awful massage chair (I think they put bowling balls under some leather and call it a massage but it more feels like I am getting punched in the back for thirty minutes.

SO!  Here is the process for a DIY manicure (use same steps for pedicure but apply polish to toes).

Turn on some music!
Soak: Put warm soapy water in a bowl, add scented oils or anything that smells good. Rest for five minutes to soften cuticles.
Trim: Push your cuticles back and trim them up with cuticle trimmers.
Cut: Clip nails to desired length.
Shape: Use nail file to shape nails square or round (sharp points if you are Lady Gaga) using a back and forth motion, then buff the surface of the nail.  I bought a four sided buffer (buffs, shines, and files two different ways) from Walmart and I love it!
Moisturize: Rub a thick moisturizer (or any lotion you have on hand) on your hands and forearms and brush cuticle oil over your nails.  Relax for a few minutes.
Prep: Wash your hands to remove oils.
1st coat: One base coat.
2nd coat: One coat of your designated color.
3rd coat: Second coat of your designated color.
4th coat: Top coat.

All done!

Not so good at the painting part?  Try Sally Hansen Salon Effects.

No comments:

Post a Comment