Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Tuesday Tip!

Budget-Friendly Make Up Part DEUX!!

There are a lot of great companies out there for people on a budget.  Besides perusing the local cosmetics aisle, here are a few companies that fill your make up bag without emptying your bank account.  These posts may be due to the fact that I just took a HUGE dive in my income by going back to school.  Currently unemployed, I am doing a lot more browsing than buying.  There is one saying that comes to mind frequently these days, "This too shall pass"  and, WHEW, am I not looking for that lipstick-er-light at the end of the tunnel.

Sephora Brand Products
          I have tried many Sephora products over the years, meaning the products made by Sephora (not the brands that are carried in their stores and also carry a hefty price tag with their brand name). My favorites from the Sephora line include Nano Eyeliner, which I have in a bunch of colors (Iced Brown, Pearl Beige, and Wild Spirit to name a few).  At $5 per pencil, you will love them too!

Coastal Scents 
         When I wanted to start doing make up professionally, I turned to this company to start my kit.  You can purchase a TON of make up for a small price if you want to start a business.  Once your biz picks up and turns a profit, you can switch to higher quality products.  My favorite from Coastal Scents are my eyeshadow palettes. Each palette contains 88 colors, which is a steal at $18.95.  The more palettes you buy, the more you save (I got four!).  My favorite palette has to be the Warm Palette because it is full of neutrals (browns and nudes), which I wear most often.  Each palette comes with matte (no shine or sparkle), satin (mild shine), or sparkle (high shine, visible sparkles seen in shadow) shades.  With every eyeshadow bought on a budget, I notice more fall out (product that falls down on your face instead of staying put on your eyelid) and a bit of a chalky texture to some colors.  Make sure to prep your eyelids with primer or foundation to avoid these two complications.

Sigma Beauty
           I have bought many brushes from Sigma, all for a bargain.  Lately, I have been mad at my F30 (the large powder brush).  It was behaving for a long time and just started shedding like a cat in the middle of summer.  Bristles are everywhere when I am done applying my powder, even though I wash it regularly (washing usually solves a shedding brush problem).  All the other brushes I have bought have been great.  I own most of the eye brushes and my favorite is the E40 (Tapered Blending Brush) at $9.  In my honest opinion (despite how much I love these brushes), brushes may be one of the make up items you want to spend money on.  I am getting a new powder brush as soon as I can!  If you take care of your brushes, they could literally last a decade or more.  The brushes I have purchased from MAC have been heavenly.
            Sigma came out with some eyeshadow palettes recently that have been compared to MAC eyeshadows in quality (which is a big compliment to Sigma).  Plus, the packaging is ADORABLE!

Ulta Cosmetics
         I am not sure about any of the make up, but I love their nail polishes!  Anywhere from $2-$7.50, the colors are true to the color in the bottle (not the case for Urban Outfitters nail polish).  They even have a nail polish to make any color matte!  Matte nails are all the rage right now and you can use it over top of any brand of nail polish.  Comment if you have used any of Ulta's cosmetics and let me know what you think!

       

1 comment:

  1. I've used Ulta brand eyeshadow and blush for years. I think is a step above most drugstore brands.

    They have a shade of blush named "sunkissed" that is amazing. It's a nice pink with a bronzy finish. I buy it in bulk (literally) and have been wearing it for more than five years.

    ReplyDelete