Thursday, March 31, 2011

What's In a Name?

So, this is a topic I've been trying to avoid.  I spent some time thinking about this business before it became a business and I really love French (see hobby list #3).  I wanted a cool french name that also gave meaning to this process I am going through of turning wasted time into a productive hobby!  Then "Les Temps Nouveaux" was born, which translates to new times (also pronouced lays taumps newvoe) .  It was a new time for me, for the biz, and for the way that I view my many half-hearted attempts at being good at everything (not possible, by the way).  So, a couple weeks later, after the blog was born and I was already browsing business card templates, I decided I should check to see if this title was related to any other business.  The first google search brought up some disturbing news.  From 1895 to 1914, Les Temps Nouveaux was a French anarchist newspaper!!  At first I was thinking, eh, maybe the time gap will eradicate any negative connotation.  Also, I am not in France and will not be working with many clients that are from France.  Then, Carrie brought up another counterpoint: if you don't speak french then A) You cannot pronounce it and B) You cannot translate its meaningful depth.  So, I am looking for a new business name.  I have a couple in the running but nothing that really seems to fit.  A couple that have been thrown around include Fresh Face Artistry, Fresh Artistry, and BonTemps Artistry (this passes in New Orleans because of our city's catch phrase "Laissez les bon temps rouler" or let the good times roll.)  If you have any ideas, please post a comment!!  There is a push to find a name because some business opportunities are in the near future (expect blog post at a later date). 

No comments:

Post a Comment